We can insure you if you have:
- not made more than two household claims within the last five years
- no unspent criminal convictions (excluding motoring convictions)
We can't insure you if the property:
- is occupied by tenants we offer landlord insurance for this
- has previously been flooded or is currently under a flood warning
- has suffered from, or is showing any signs of, subsidence, landslip or heave
- isn't built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slate, tiles, metal, asphalt, glass, fibreglass or concrete
- isn't in a good state of structural repair
- is a mobile home
- isn't a self-contained flat
- is unfurnished
- is empty
- has eight or more bedrooms
- has six or more bathrooms
- is a grade I or grade II* listed property, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland
My property is listed, will your home insurance cover me?
We can offer you home insurance on your listed property if:
- you live in England or Wales and your home is Grade II listed
- you live in Scotland and your home is Grade C listed
- you live in Northern Ireland and your home is Grade B1 listed
We can't cover:
- Grade I or Grade II* listed properties, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
I run a business from home. Can you insure me?
Yes, we can cover your home as long as:
- Only one room is used for your business
- You have no staff working from your home
- Nothing is sold, manufactured, repaired or restored from your home
Our contents cover includes up to £5,000 (£10,000 on Home Plus) for your business equipment. This includes furniture and office equipment, such as computers, printers or photocopiers.
We won't cover things like business stock, materials, tools or liability for your business should something go wrong, for example, if you give a client incorrect advice.
If you're running a business from the address or if there is a business registered to your home, please call us on 0800 023 2638.
8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm Saturday and bank holidays
10am - 4pm Sunday
Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone first dial 18001.
Will you insure my house if I have asbestos?
Unfortunately, if your home's roof or walls are made of asbestos, we're unable to offer home insurance.
We can only provide cover for homes built from brick, stone (excluding cob) or concrete, with a slate, tile, metal, asphalt or concrete roof.
What if asbestos is discovered in my home during repairs?
Yes, if you're an existing LV= home insurance customer and asbestos is discovered whilst we're dealing with a claim, we'll deal with this for you.
We use a range of companies to deal with claims and have specialist tradespeople who can remove and dispose of asbestos.
If I have a lodger will my home insurance be affected?
Taking in a lodger may affect your price but don't worry, you and your family's belongings will still be covered under your contents insurance for loss or damage as long as you've told us.
It's also worth noting that your lodger's belongings aren't covered under your contents insurance, so they may wish to buy their own contents cover.
Do I have to declare criminal convictions when taking out home insurance?
When you apply for home insurance, we may ask you if you or anyone living with you have any unspent criminal convictions.
If you don’t disclose this information, it may invalidate your home insurance.
For more information, or if you’re having trouble finding cover, you can visit ABI’s website.
All content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts.