Motor legal expenses
"The accident wasn't my fault!"
Motor legal expenses insurance covers up to £100,000 of legal costs following a car accident caused by someone else, including help with personal injury claims.
- Keep 100% of your personal injury claim compensation (without this, your solicitor may deduct their fees from the amount you receive).
- Recover any lost earnings if you're unable to work.
- Defend a motoring prosecution arising from an incident while you were using your car.
- Call a free 24/7 legal advice telephone helpline service for any private legal matter.
Find out more in our guide to motor legal expenses.
You won't be covered for claims that don’t have a reasonable (more than 50%) chance of success.
Guaranteed hire car
“How will I get around without my car?"
Adding guaranteed hire car cover to your insurance means we'll arrange a hire car for you while yours is being fixed by one of our recommended repairers.
- For £19.90 per year, you're guaranteed a small 3 door hatchback hire car.
- For £49.99 per year, you're guaranteed a medium family sized car with 5 doors or a 7 seater.
- Have use of a hire car for the whole time yours is in the garage.
- If your car's stolen or written off, we'll guarantee you a hire car for up to 21 days or up to 4 days after we've paid your claim - whichever's soonest.
- There's no need to organise temporary insurance; we insure the hire car for comprehensive cover.
- All you need to pay for is your fuel.
We can't give you a hire car if you choose to have your car repaired by a garage that's not part of our recommended repairer service.
Extended personal accident cover
"What if I'm seriously injured while using my car?"
Increase your personal accident insurance to £100,000 if you, your partner or a named driver on the policy suffer a serious injury while travelling in, or getting in or out of your car.
- Receive a £100,000 payout for a serious injury per person (our standard comprehensive policy gives you a total of £10,000 cover).
- Covers you, you partner and named drivers.
- Includes cover for things like loss of sight or hearing - all the detail's in your policy documents.
- We'll also pay £150 per person per day (up to 14 days)... if you, your partner or a named driver on the policy at the time is admitted to hospital as a result of an accident in the car you're claiming for.
The 14 days may include follow up in-patient or out-patient admissions required for injuries from that accident (within 12 months).
This cover is available as an optional extra with our comprehensive car insurance and, don't forget, you won't be covered if the driver's proven unfit to drive due to alcohol or drug use.
"Help! My car has broken down!"
Don't worry. Our breakdown cover is there for you whenever your car lets you down.
Adding breakdown to your car insurance policy is cheaper than our standalone product.*
- Our choice of five levels of breakdown cover means you only pay for what you need; from our Roadside Assist to UK and European Assist.
- Get help if your car breaks down.
- Call our 24/7 UK call centre if you need help.
- Access to over 4,000 Britannia Rescue professionals; 4 out of 5 vehicles fixed at the roadside.**
Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and, where appropriate, have an MOT certificate and road tax.
*Please note: Personal Cover is only available as an optional extra when Breakdown Cover is taken separately. It's not available when adding Breakdown to your LV= car insurance policy.
**92% of 58,143 customers were able to complete their journey. From Agent Performance Report (April 2023 - September 2023).
Protected no claim discount
Your careful driving has built up your no claim discount, we know you don't want to lose it
- If you've earned four or more years no claim discount (NCD), you can protect it for the life of your policy.
- No matter how many claims you make, you won't lose your NCD.*
- You'll continue to benefit from your no claim discount year after year.
*Your discount's protected but your premium may still increase, for example following an accident or claim.