Travel insurance

Useful information for a stress-free holiday 

Things you should know before you travel 

Start your travel quoteYour saved travel quote

Information about the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Travel Aware initiative

Travel Aware

Advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth and development Office (FCDO) is available to help you prepare for travelling abroad. Spending some time reviewing and planning your trip by looking at the information on the Travel Aware page can help you stay safe and healthy while you're away.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The Brexit transition period ends on the 31 December 2020 and after this date the situation will depend on whether a reciprocal health agreement has been agreed with each country you are visiting. An EHIC or another reciprocal health agreement entitles you to reduced cost or free state healthcare in the countries you visit.

What's happening to the EHIC cars after 31st December 2020?

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is still valid after 31 December 2020 until your card expires. If you don’t have one, you can apply for a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) here. From the 1 January 2021 the GHIC and EHIC is accepted in all EU countries but not Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) let you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced or no cost. 

However, not all medical costs are covered by these health agreements, so your travel insurance will cover you for all other medical expenses outside of that, including bringing you home if you're not well enough to complete your trip.

Hiring a car abroad
If your driving licence was issued in England, Scotland or Wales, DVLA regulation requires drivers to get a 'check code' before hiring a car abroad. 

These links to other sites will also give you useful information that can help you with your travel plans: 

Tips for travelling with a medical condition
Helpful hints around travel and holiday bookings for those with pre-existing medical conditions.

Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
Always check the latest information for each country you are visiting as entry requirements are changing on the FCDO website. You can also find the latest Coronavirus updates and measures in place as well as health and safety information.

Responsible for issuing UK passports and for administering the civil registration process in England and Wales.

The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC)
Health information for health professionals and travellers. Find information about health risks in your destination country, general health and safety advice and reports of disease outbreaks.

Travel health information for people travelling abroad from the UK.

Our 24 hour emergency medical assistance line is available 365 days of the year and is provided by CEGA Group Services Limited. Call this line if you think you need to cut your trip short, before going to a hospital or you need medical treatment that may cost more than £500. Outside UK +441243 621 537, within UK 01243 621 537 (For Text Phone please dial 18001 first). Calls will be recorded.

We're not responsible for the content on other websites.

policy documents

Grab a cuppa and take a read of our policy documents

You can get these and other documents from us in Braille, large print or audio by contacting us 

Need to make a change to an existing LV= travel insurance policy? Just give us a call 

0800 316 12258am - 8pm Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm Saturday and bank holidays 10am - 4pm Sunday. For Text Phone first dial 18001, calls will be recorded.