LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Home insurance optional extras

Design your cover to suit your needs

House with a green heart

Home insurance extras

Our UK home insurance isn't just about giving you quality cover, it's about giving you flexibility so you can tailor the cover to suit you.

To add any of these options to your home insurance, add them as you get your quote. For full details of our optional extras, please see the home insurance policy document.

Defaqto 2018 - 5 Star home insurance

Defaqto 5 star rated cover for our Home and Home Plus insurance

Get your home insurance quote online

Or call our UK call centre on

0800 023 2638

Existing customer contact details

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm Saturday and bank holidays
10am - 4pm Sunday

Calls will be recorded

Spilled wine icon representing extended accidental damage cover

Full accidental damage cover

" My cream carpets! I’ll never get that red wine stain out!"

Breakages, spillages, stains – it’s easy to have an accident and damage your home or belongings. LV= home insurance offers some cover but our extended accidental damage cover gives you peace of mind that we can help put more things right. Here are some examples of what you’re covered for:

  • DIY accidents, such as putting your foot through your loft floor, or driving a nail through a pipe
  • Damage caused by children –such as knocking valuable objects over, scribbling on walls, spilling drinks, as well as damage caused by kicking and throwing balls around indoors
  • Spillages or stains that damage carpets, furniture and curtains
  • Furniture, fixtures or fittings ruined by your pet scratching, digging or chewing

This extended cover is included as standard with our Home Plus policy.

Personal belongings cover away from home

" What happens if I lose my mobile phone out and about?”

These days, we carry hundreds of pounds worth of belongings around in our pockets and bags. It's all too easy to lose or damage something you're wearing or carrying while out and about. Add extended personal belongings cover to protect items worth up to £2,000 (£5,000 with Home Plus) when you’re away from home. This optional cover includes:

  • Loss or damage to personal possessions while in the UK and Europe
  • Up to 60 days worldwide cover
  • Belongings like jewellery, watches, cameras, mobile phones, tablets and golf clubs
  • Money and credit cards up to £500 (£1,000 cover with Home Plus)

There is a limit of £2,000 (£5,000 with Home Plus) per item. Any item worth more than this must be specified on the policy.

This extended cover is included as standard with our Home Plus policy.

Mobile and ring icon representing personal belongings cover away from home

Bicycle icon representing cycle cover away from home

Bicycle cover away from home

" I wouldn’t know what I’d do without my bike”

Avid cyclist? You’ll want to make sure your trusty two-wheeler is covered if you take your bike away from home. Adding bicycle cover to your home insurance couldn’t be easier. Whether it is for you or your family, with this optional cover, your bicycle or folding bike and cycling gear is insured:

  • Against accidental loss, damage or even theft while you’re away from home (providing your bike is locked to an immovable object - or within a locked building - when taken away from home)
  • Against loss or damage whilst cycling in the UK and Europe
  • For up to 60 days worldwide cover

Your bike value must include accessories.

There is a limit of £1,000 per bike. Any bike worth more than this must be specified on the policy.

This extended cover is included as standard with our Home Plus policy.

Legal expenses cover - for £25 or less

" It’s not my fault – but now I’m out of pocket”

Most people don’t understand the benefits of legal expenses cover until it’s too late and the solicitor’s fees are mounting up. With this additional level of cover, it's good to know you've got up to £100,000 in legal fees expenses to help you:

  • Claim compensation if you're injured and it's not your fault e.g. you trip over a loose paving slab or are knocked off your bike
  • Protect your legal rights as a home owner, for example a dispute over a boundary or right of way
  • With unfair dismissal or other employment contract disputes such as discrimination
  • With a dispute relating to goods or services you've bought such as faulty workmanship by a builder

Any claim must have more than a 50% chance of the case being successful.

Gavel and block icon representing legal expenses cover

Broken boiler icon representing Home Emergency

Home emergency - for £50 or less

" Help! My boiler’s broken down!”

Choose home emergency cover and we can organise and pay for an approved tradesperson to provide emergency assistance and repairs up to £500 per emergency. You won’t have to pay an excess and you’ll be covered for things like:

  • Heating – we pay for emergency assistance if your heating system fails (provided it’s under 15 years old and has been serviced within the last 3 years)
  • Internal plumbing, drainage and gas supply – we pay to repair damage to or failure of these systems
  • Electrical system – if you experience failure of the permanent electrical system from the electric meter for fuse boxes, sockets, switches and light fittings, we will pay for an approved repairer to make your home safe
  • Roofing – sudden, unexpected roofing problems such as leaks or tiles blown off during a storm or bad weather
  • Loss of keys – if the keys to your house have been lost or stolen, we get you back inside and make it secure
  • Pest infestation – help to rid your home of any unwanted pests, like mice, rats or wasps

This isn't a home maintenance contract so boiler servicing and replacing worn out parts are not included. We also cannot cover warm air, solar, under floor, oil fired, LPG or propane heating systems.

You can only get home emergency cover if you've got our home buildings insurance.

Choose the level of home insurance you need

We love saving you money on other insurance too...