Why choose LV= to insure your Smart?
Join over 5,000 like-minded people who insure their Smart with us
5,713 people insured their Smart with us (correct at 1 February 2023)
Here's what you'll like about our comprehensive cover...
- Accidental damage cover
Scratched or dented your car? We pay for repairs so it's as good as it was before the accident
- Uninsured driver promise
If the other driver is not insured and the accident's not your fault, you keep your no claim discount and there's no excess to pay - as long as you have the details of the other vehicle and driver
- Misfuelling cover
Accidentally filled your petrol or diesel car with the wrong fuel? It happens. We pay to drain and flush your fuel tank, as well as cover the damage to the car's engine*
*If you accidentally use E10 rather than E5 there’s no need to drain the tank, just fill with E5 next time.
- European cover
Get covered in the EU for up to 180 days a year at the same level as your UK cover. Perfecto! Find out more about driving in the EU
- Vandalism promise
If your car is vandalised and you have to claim, you'll keep your no claim discount - you'll just need to pay your excess
- Replacement child car seats
We'll replace your child car seats if your car has been in an accident - even if there's no apparent damage
- New locks and keys
If your keys are lost or stolen. After all, accidents happen
Have an electric Smart? All this is included as standard...
- Recovery to the nearest chargepoint
Run out of charge in the UK? We'll recover you to the nearest chargepoint. We also have a fleet of vehicles we use in partnership with AFF the national roadside electric vehicle charging assistance company, which can recharge your vehicle and get you on the road again. This won’t affect your NCD and there’s no excess to pay
- Cover for charging cables
Charging cables, wall boxes and adaptors are covered for accidental damage, fire and theft
- Battery cover
Battery cover for accidental damage, fire and theft – even if you’re leasing it separately from the car
- Over the air monthly updates (OTA)
OTA updates are covered as standard when you insure your electric vehicle with us, but if you or the previous owner paid for additional performance upgrades affecting speed or acceleration, we'll need to know. You'll only need to tell us once and not everytime you upgrade.
And if you choose our optional hire car cover:
- We’ll provide the use of an electric or hybrid hire car if your green machine is off the road
Smart Safety features
Most newer Smarts have a number of beneficial safety features
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) is a smart safety system that automatically applies the car's brakes if the driver doesn't react quickly enough to a hazard ahead, the system can help avoid or mitigate potential collisions.
- Crosswind assist activates at speeds of more than 50 mph on straight roads and slight bends. It controls the braking of individual wheels to help you keep the car on course without having to put so much effort into the steering.
- Hill start assist prevents your car from rolling backwards when moving off on a hill. When you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal, it'll maintain the brake pressure so you don't accidentally roll back.
- Lane Keeping Assist helps prevent you from accidentally leaving your lane. A camera scans the road markings to detect the differences in contrast between the road surface and the lines. If you start to drift, it alerts you with a visual warning and a sound.
- ESP® - Electronic Stability Programme - this system compares the Smart Car's behaviour to your driving inputs. If necessary, it can brake individual wheels and adjust torque to stabilise the car.
Smart EQ insurance
So, where do Smart stand on electric cars?
Here's the lowdown:
Smart has the Fortwo and Forfour in its electric vehicle range, combining the best features of their existing models with zero emissions engines.
Both models boast the ability to travel over 70 miles on a single charge.
All smart EQ Fortwo and Forfour models are in Vehicle Excise Duty Band A, so you’ll pay no car tax.
You may also be eligible for a plug-in grant from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles.
For more information visit Smart's website
So, are you ready to go electric?