Driving to the EU? Here’s what you need to know…

Towing with your vehicle in an EU country?

You should check if you need to register your trailer or caravan before towing it abroad.

Driving in an EU country?

If you’re driving to any country which is a member of the European Union, you no longer need to carry a green card for your car, motorbike or van. This also applies to Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Republic of Ireland, San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland and The Vatican State.

If you’re travelling to Albania, Morocco or Turkey, please call us on 0330 678 5222, if you’re towing have the details of the caravan or trailer to hand. 

We’re available

Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm
Sat and bank holidays 9am - 5pm
Sun 10am - 4pm

For Text Phone first dial 18001
Calls will be recorded 

The green card you're issued with will be valid for the countries and dates you requested. All drivers named on the vehicle insured with LV= will be covered, even though the card only shows the policy holder's name

If your car is with another insurer, contact them to arrange a green card.

Green cards aren’t always green in colour, so don’t worry if you receive a white version instead.

If your policy hasn't started yet but your trip overlaps your renewal date, or your trip is after your renewal date, please call us on 0330 678 5222

Please don't request another Green Card if you’re already waiting for one to be processed.

Please allow enough time for your Green Card to arrive. We’ll post it 1st Class on the next working day.

That's not all though, you may also need to check the below...

You might also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

• A paper driving licence
• A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

You can check with the Post Office or embassy of the country you’ll be driving in. Find out more about International Driving Permits 

It’s a good idea to take your car insurance policy documents and vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad.