Travel insurance and your staycation 

5 minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

Staying close to home for your next trip? Here's why travel insurance makes sense for every holiday.

Holidays will probably look a little different for a lot of us this year, but it doesn't mean we can't get away. So, whether you call it a staycation, a UK break, or a local leave of absence - staying close to home has never looked so good. If you're thinking of taking a road trip to the Dorset coast, or camping in the Scottish Highlands, you should still consider travel insurance. We'll cover you for trips as long as they're 25 miles or more from your home address, even if if you're only gone for the day. So, from mini breaks to staycations and all the day trips in between, we're here to cover you for delays, cancellations, lost luggage and more.

So, what's a staycation?

The word 'staycation' is an amalgamation of 'stay' and 'vacation'. The phrase gained traction in 2009 when, in the midst of the global financial crisis, holidaymakers were taking more trips in their home countries. It seems to have stuck, with millions of us taking short breaks and longer holidays in our own backyards every year. In 2020, during a lift in the coronavirus restrictions, staycations were phenomenally popular, with millions of Brits planning staycations in the summer of 2020. Remember to be savvy when booking your staycation though, as with a rise in popularity, comes a rise in cost too - so make sure you're not paying over the odds for your much deserved getaway. 

But it rains all the time - why would I staycation in the UK?

Okay, so we're not known for wall-to-wall sunshine, but the UK has loads of options: a stunning coastline, beautiful countryside, fantastic heritage, amazing food and vibrant  cities. 

Need more perks? A staycation means no long haul flights to endure, no exchange rate to work out and no language barriers. And best of all, you can take your pet with you without the need for a pet passport.

In the UK, we're spoilt for choice with so many beautiful destinations

Do I need travel insurance for a staycation?

Although you won’t need travel insurance to pay for emergency medical treatment, you’ll still need it in case your holiday has to be cancelled, your baggage gets stolen or your hotel goes out of business. And if you get ill and you're too unwell to get home, your travel insurance can help pay for additional travel or accommodation costs.

Travel insurance often includes cover for accidental damage or injury to people or property as well. So if you accidentally smash a window in your holiday cottage, and it's not due to your own negligence, your insurance can help cover the cost. However, your travel insurance will only cover accidental damages you are liable for.

And if you tow your own caravan on a caravan holiday, you’ll need to make sure all your possessions are insured while you’re travelling and when you arrive. A combination of travel insurance and caravan insurance can help with this.   

Why would I ever cancel a holiday?

You never know what's around the corner.

Remember, the costs of cancelling a trip in the UK can be just as expensive as cancelling a trip abroad. For peace of mind that you'll be able to recover any costs if you can't go on your trip, make sure you've got travel insurance in place. 

But I’m very careful with my valuables

Most of us take good care of our possessions, but when you’re snapping away at the beautiful scenery or keen to get back to the surf, there are loads of distractions and it’s easy to lose a camera or drop a phone.

With travel insurance on your staycation, you can claim for lost, stolen or damaged baggage and valuables up to a certain limit. With LV=, this includes hired sports equipment, so if you accidentally ding that surfboard you hired, you won’t necessarily be out of pocket. Alternatively, you may be able to claim for your baggage and valuables on your home insurance.


Oh no! The company I booked with has gone out of business 

Imagine: you've booked and paid for the perfect boutique hotel in the Cotswolds and now they've gone bust. Not only have you potentially lost the money you spent on  booking, but you need to spend more money on another holiday. Nightmare!

LV= Premier travel insurance covers you for this exact scenario. Plus it also covers you if a hotel or caravan holiday site goes bankrupt while you're staying there and you need to find an alternative. And you get cover for the financial failure of an airline, train operator, car hire company, cottage rental, campsite and even booked excursions.

Can I get UK and overseas cover all in one?

You sure can. Annual multi trip travel insurance can often be a good way to make sure you have adequate travel insurance if you enjoy both a staycation in the UK and travelling overseas.

If you're planning a day trip within the United Kingdom, you'll be covered under an annual multi trip travel insurance as long as you have either pre-booked the accommodation, it's more than 25 miles away from your home or it involves a sea crossing.

With LV= travel insurance you can take as many trips as you like in the year and be insured for up to 90 days each time with Premier cover.

Thinking about a staycation? We've got you covered...

Get a travel quote