Travel insurance and your staycation 

5 minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

From divine destinations to hidden hideaways (and some travel insurance information in between), here’s everything you need to know about staycations…

What is a staycation?

The word 'staycation' is an amalgamation of 'stay' and 'vacation'. The phrase gained traction in 2009 when, in the midst of the global financial crisis, holidaymakers were taking more trips in their home countries. It seems to have stuck, with millions of us taking short breaks and longer holidays in our own backyards every year. 

So, whether you call it a staycation, a UK break, or a local leave of absence - staying close to home has never looked so good. If you're thinking of taking a road trip to the Dorset coast, or camping in the Scottish Highlands, you should still consider travel insurance. We'll cover you for trips as long as they're 25 miles or more from your home address, even if you're only gone for the day. So, from mini breaks to staycations and all the day trips in between, we're here to cover you for delays, cancellations, lost luggage and more.

We may not be known for wall-to-wall sunshine, but the UK has loads of options: a stunning coastline, beautiful countryside, fantastic heritage, amazing food and vibrant cities. 

Oh, and a staycation means no long-haul flights, no exchange rate to work out and no language barriers. And best of all? You can take your pet with you without the need for a pet passport.

Do I need travel insurance for a staycation?

Although you won’t need travel insurance to pay for emergency medical treatment, you’ll still need it in case your holiday has to be cancelled, your baggage gets stolen or your hotel goes out of business. And even if you get ill and you're too unwell to get home, your travel insurance can help pay for additional travel or accommodation costs.

Cover for damages

Travel insurance also often includes cover for accidental damage or injury to people or property as well. So, if you accidentally smash a window in your holiday cottage, and it's not due to your own negligence, your insurance could help cover the cost. 

Cover for lost or stolen baggage

With travel insurance, you can also claim for lost, stolen or damaged baggage and valuables up to a certain limit. With LV=, this includes hired sports equipment, so if you accidentally ding that surfboard you hired, you won’t necessarily be out of pocket. Alternatively, you may be able to claim for your baggage and valuables on your home insurance.

Cover for a cancelled trip

Remember, the costs of cancelling a trip in the UK can be just as expensive as cancelling a trip abroad. So, for peace of mind that you'll be able to recover any costs if you can't go on your trip, make sure you've got travel insurance in place should the worst happen.

Thinking about a staycation? We've got you covered...

Get a travel quote