Common health problems and illness
Because of their shortened head and nose, the French Bulldog is susceptible to brachycephalic syndrome, meaning they may struggle to get air flowing freely into and out of the lungs. Problems can include an elongated soft palate and narrow nostrils. Look out for coughing, loud snoring and gagging, and speak to a vet if you have any concerns. It's because of these breathing difficulties that care should be taken when walking your pet – especially in hot weather.
Corneal ulcers are one of the most common eye problems in a French Bulldog. The ulcers are classified as either deep or superficial and the cornea loses layers of tissue as a result. Keep a careful watch over your French Bulldog when he's playing with other dogs, when he's digging, and when you're bathing him (never let soap get in his eyes). If you notice runny eyes, redness or constant blinking, then speak with your vet who may prescribe medication.
The French Bulldog's distinctive shape is a result of chondrodystrophic dwarfism, which brings with it back problems. Intervertebral disc disease is a degenerative condition and a common cause of spinal pain in this breed. Signs may include incontinence, mobility problems and weakness, so if you notice anything unusual in your dog, speak with a vet who will be able discuss treatment options with you.
Our pet policies explained
Time Limited pet policies
- Our Time Limited policies cover an illness or condition for a maximum of 12 months from the date of the first treatment
- Cover most suited for short-term illnesses and injuries
Lifetime pet policies
- Available for cats under 10 and dogs under eight years old
- Our Lifetime policies provide an amount of cover (up to the policy limit you choose) for all illnesses or conditions in a policy year. This amount refreshes at renewal.
- Cover for long-term illness and injuries
This article contains links to other sites, and we're not responsible for the contents of any of these websites.
All content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts.