Travel insurance for extended trips abroad

Big adventure coming up? Find out why you need long stay travel insurance 

5 minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

Whether you're jetting off on a round the world adventure or you're spending winter in the sun, sort out your long stay travel insurance before you go.

What's covered with long stay travel insurance?

Many standard travel insurance policies only provide cover for up to 30 days. So if you're planning to spend the winter in Lanzarote or six months exploring Australia and New Zealand, standard travel insurance won't give you adequate cover. 

Long stay travel insurance provides cover for more than 30 days, and can cover you for a year or even longer. It's designed for people who are planning an extended trip – either to one place for a long time or travelling from one destination to another.

We’ll cover you for a single trip of up to 366 days if you’re under 65 years of age, or 90 days if you’re between 65 and 79 years old, or 31 days if you’re aged 80 or over.


Long stay travel insurance provides cover for more than 30 days, and can cover you for up to 366 days. 

Can I just buy annual multi trip insurance?

Annual multi trip insurance covers you for several trips taken over the year, but there's often a time limit attached to each trip - usually, it's 30 days. After the 30 days, you must come back to the UK. 80 year olds and older have a 31 day trip limit for single trip.
Annual multi trip insurance could be the the right choice if you know you'll be travelling back and forth to the UK. However, if you are 79 years old or younger and you take out Premier annual multi trip insurance with LV=, we cover you for up to 90 days each time.
So, for example, if you enjoy spending the summer in France and you know you won't be there more than 90 days in any one trip, but plan to go back several times, this type of cover may be fine.

What's covered with long stay travel insurance?

Like other travel insurance policies, long stay travel insurance usually covers you for:

Emergency medical treatment

Wherever you are in the world, you'll want to know that you can afford to pay for any emergency medical treatment you may need.

Long stay travel insurance provides cover for unexpected emergency medical treatment and will pay for you to get home if you're too unwell to continue your trip.

Many countries expect you to pay some or all of the cost of your care, so it's important not to skimp on your cover. For example, treating a stomach infection in hospital in the US with return flights could be extremely costly.

Cancellation and curtailment

When you're away on a long trip, there are bound to be a few hiccups. And if things go really wrong, you may have to cancel or cut short your holiday.

If you do, you should be able to get some money back for any tickets and accommodation you paid for but didn't use. LV= will also cover you for any missed excursions you booked in advance.

Lost, stolen or damaged possessions

If you're moving from place to place every few days, it's easier for things to get lost. Long stay travel cover can insure your valuables up to a certain limit, so if you lose your phone or passport, you'll be reimbursed.

What else do I need to consider before I buy?


As you get older, you're likely to need medical care more often, which can be costly if you're staying overseas. That's why some companies put an age limit on their long stay travel insurance. If you're over 65 and plan to be away from home for more than 90 days at a time, you may need to consider specialist cover.

Sports and activities

Part of the fun of being away is trying new things. But if you fancy that bungee jump in New Zealand, make sure your insurance covers you for adventure sports. The same goes for many water sports and even trekking at altitude.

Cover for all destinations

Check your insurance covers every country you plan to travel to. LV= offers worldwide cover that insures you to travel anywhere in the world, unless the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises not to.

This article contains links to other sites, and we're not responsible for the contents of any of these websites.

All content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts.