Wondering how Brexit will affect your insurance?

Here's everything you need to know...

Now Britain has left the EU, you might have some questions about how any changes could affect your insurance.

Most of our policies are not affected by Brexit, but if you’re travelling to or from Europe, you may find there are some changes. 


If you’re planning on travelling abroad, there may be some changes you need to be aware of. Please see the relevant sections below depending on your method of travel.

Want to know more about Brexit and your policies? 

Just click on the product you'd like to know more about.

Motor Insurance

Your car, van, motorbike or classic car insurance policy...

If you’re going to be taking your car abroad, including to the Republic of Ireland, you no longer need to carry a Green Card for your car.

You may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

A paper driving licence
A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

Check with the Post Office or embassy of the country you’ll be driving in.

More information on IDP’s is available here. 

If you have European cover (shown as ‘Foreign Use’ on your policy schedule), you’re all set to go with cover for up to 180 days. 

It’s a good idea to take your car insurance policy documents and your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad. 

For more information, see our FAQs.


If you plan on towing on your European trip, you should check if you need to register your caravan or trailer, as some countries require you to display a separate registration plate.

If you do, it means you’ll also need to carry a green card for the trailer or caravan (but not your car). If you’re insured with LV= you can email [email protected] and let us know:

• Your policy number, vehicle registration and postcode 
• The make of the caravan or trailer 
• The registration number of the caravan or trailer

Please allow enough time for your Green Card to arrive. We’ll post it 1st Class on the next working day.

Green Cards are valid until your next policy renewal date, so you can travel as much as you like on the same Green Card within the 180-day policy limit.

If your car is with another insurer, contact them to arrange a green card.

You must make sure you take a physical copy of your Green Card with you when travelling abroad, as digital copies may not be accepted.

If you require a Green Card when travelling abroad and do not have a valid one, you may be refused entry to the country you’re travelling to or you could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.




What about your caravan and trailer insurance policy?

Icon of a car towing a caravan

If you plan on towing abroad (including to the Republic of Ireland), you may still need a Green Card for your caravan or trailer (but not your car). If this is the case, you should contact your car insurer.

If your car insurance is with LV=, please follow the instructions under the motor insurance section above.


Travel Insurance 

Information about your travel insurance

Now that Britain has left the EU, travel to and from Europe might look different. Here are some things you should know before you travel:

Travel disruption 

There are warnings that we should expect travel delays following Brexit.

If there is disruption and you booked your trip before 1 January 2021, you’ll be covered in line with our current terms and conditions. However, you won’t be covered if you were already aware of travel disruptions that could affect your arrangements when you booked your trip.  For example: booking your trip after travel disruptions had been reported in the news.  

Travel restrictions 

Most citizens from non-EU countries aren’t allowed to enter Europe unless they’re from countries with very low infection rates, like New Zealand. It’s possible that the EU may choose to exempt the UK from this rule, or a country may create a travel corridor with us so UK citizens can travel there.

Our policies changed on the 14 September 2020, so you won’t be covered for cancellation due to COVID-19 infection rates if the EU or specific countries won’t allow UK citizens to enter.  Our new terms apply to:

  • New policies since 14 September
  • Policies renewed on or after 14 September - any trips booked after your renewal date

If you’re planning to travel to Europe and you’re not travelling against Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO) advice, you’re still covered for up to £10 million in medical expenses.  

Your EHIC card

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is still valid until your card expires, so remember to take it with you. If you don’t have one, you can now apply for a free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) here. The GHIC is accepted in all EU countries but not Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein. The EHIC or GHIC entitles you to reduced cost or free state healthcare in the countries you visit.

However, not all medical costs are covered by these health agreements, so your travel insurance will cover you for all other medical expenses, including bringing you home if you're too unwell to complete your trip.


Also, if you are planning on travelling this year, check your passport will be valid. You may need to renew your passport earlier than expected. On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to:

  • have at least 6 months validity left and
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months validity or more left)

If you don’t renew your passport, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. If you're not sure, you can check by using the government website.

Entry requirements and QR codes

You must carefully check the requirements before you travel as any delay or cancellation caused by failure to comply won't be covered under your travel policy.

We recommend you regularly check the government FCDO website for each country you're visiting as the entry requirements may differ or could change. 

Here are some of the key steps you may need to follow before you travel:

  • Complete a passenger locator form (PLF) or a health control form (HCF) 24 to 48 hours before departure. Once submitted, you may be given a non-transferable QR code that you must show at the airport.
  • Provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test that's been done within 48 to 72 hours. This may be from your departure date or arrival in the country - check which type of test is needed for each country.
  • Provide a fit to fly certificate as well as a negative PCR test. Some private testing companies can do this.

There are two lists of private test providers on the government website: 

  • Test to Release for return to the UK after international travel
  • General testing for outbound travel tests and fit to fly certificates 

Make sure you order or book your test with enough time to receive your result before you depart. Most providers offer a priority or standard service. It’s possible you could be asked to take a rapid test on arrival and quarantine until you’re advised otherwise.

And lastly…

We will keep a close eye on developments. For updates on your travel cover, please keep checking this page. 

Breakdown cover

Your breakdown cover won't change...

Icon of a breakdown van towing a broken down car to a gas station

Your breakdown cover won’t change.

If you have our European Assist cover, you’re protected against breakdown when driving in Europe.

Take your car insurance policy documents and your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad.

Pet insurance

Finally, let's talk about your pet insurance policy

If you're planning on taking your pet or assistance dog abroad this year, you’ll need to make sure you follow the new guidance.

Pet passports

Pet passports will now no longer be valid for trips either to Northern Ireland or the EU. Instead, you'll need an animal health certificate

New rules to take your pet abroad

The new rules for dogs, cats and ferrets are –

  • They must be microchipped
  • They must be vaccinated against rabies, although your pet must be at least 12 weeks before they can be vaccinated
  • A period of 21 days must pass after the primary vaccination before you can travel
  • A dog must be treated for tapeworm between 24 and 120 hours before arriving if you are travelling to a tapeworm free country
  • Visit you vet within 10 days of your EU trip for an animal health certificate


Animal health certificate

The animal health certificate needs to be signed by your vet after they've given proof of your pet’s microchipping date and vaccination history. The certificate lasts for 10 days after the date of issue to allow you to enter the EU or Northern Ireland. Once you've gained entry, the certificate lasts for four months after the date of issue for onward travel with Northern Ireland and the EU, or to re-enter Great Britain.

EU entry points

And lastly, you'll only be able to enter the EU through a traveller’s point of entry. These will include all major French ports e.g. Calais, Caen and Dunkirk.