Car insurance claims considerations

Know what's covered by your car insurance?

Have a read about the things that are covered under your policy – and what's not 

“Help! I’ve had an accident in my partner’s car and I’m not named on their policy. What do I do?”

Car on it's roof
  • As you aren’t named, you won’t be covered by your partner’s policy. 
  • But if you have your own policy, check if it covers ‘driving other cars’ .You should be able to find this within your policy documents / certificate of motor insurance.
  • There may be exclusions to this cover so ensure you have read your terms and conditions fully. Driving other cars cover is usually an entitlement for the policyholder only, and it will only cover you in a privately owned car that doesn’t belong to you.
  • It’s worth remembering cover for driving other cars is usually third party only cover which means if you have an accident whilst driving a car that doesn’t belong to you,  your insurer will only pay for  injury to other people and damage to their property. Loss or damage to the car you are driving will not be covered.

"I need to drive to a business meeting that isn't at my usual place of work, am I covered?"

Car driving along a road
  • If you currently have social, domestic and pleasure use including commuting, the commuting use will only cover you to drive to your usual place of work each day.  If you travel to different addresses for work, even if it’s just once you will need business use cover to be added to your policy.
  • Check your certificate of motor insurance to see what cover you have on your policy. This is located under section 6 of the certificate. The options for use are: Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes excluding commuting to work ; Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes including commuting to a single place of work, provided no business visits are made on the way; and Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and also additional business use, both including and excluding commercial travelling.
  • If the cover doesn't currently meet what you use your vehicle for, you can call our customer service team to discuss or amend your policy.

"I insure my child’s car in my name because it was too expensive for them to be the policyholder. Is this ok?"

Icon of a car with a P plate on the side of it
  • Sorry, no. It means you are not paying the correct price. Whilst it's natural to want to help out friends and family, this is called 'fronting' and is actually a form of fraud.
  • You run the risk of your policy being made null and void, a claim not being paid, your premiums not being refunded and the insurance company seeking recovery for any claims payments or costs, including those relating to third parties.  Your details may also be passed to other agencies, which aim to prevent fraud and money laundering.

"My car has been modified, am I covered?"

A modification is any change to your car manufacturer's standard specification.

  • These include things like changing the alloy wheels, suspension, tinted windows, as well as exhaust or engine changes.
  • If you don't tell us what modifications you or previous owners have made to your vehicle, you could risk any claims not being paid and your insurance policy being cancelled. Find out what modifications you need to tell us about. 

"I lost a set of car keys while I was out shopping, what should I do?"

  • We pay to replace your lost or stolen ignition keys or other 'start' devices, as well as for all the locks to be replaced on your vehicle – so long as they weren't left in, on, attached to, or in the immediate proximity of your car while it was unattended.

“My car got stolen when I was defrosting it. I left the key in the ignition to have the heaters on. Can I claim?”

  • Don’t be victim to a theft. 
  • It is very easy on a cold winter’s morning to leave our car unattended with the engine running , before we start our journey whilst we go back inside to finish our cup of coffee, or even if you leave the keys in the car while you nip inside to get something you’ve forgotten.

But did you know we will not cover you if; 

  • your car has been left unlocked;
  • your car has been left with a window or roof open;
  • the engine has been left running;
  • the ignition key or other ignition devices like a keyfob or a smartphone is left in, on or attached to or left in the immediate proximity of your car.
  • if your vehicle has keyless entry or a push button start remember if you’ve started your car and have the keyfob or phone in your pocket and leave the vehicle, it can still be driven away!
  • we have stated you must have a working tracking device – your schedule will confirm if this is required;

“I was driving home from work when my car broke down. My garage said it has suffered from a mechanical failure in the engine. Can I claim?”

Comprehensive cover will only cover you for accidental damage, fire and theft.

  • We will not cover you if your vehicle has suffered a mechanical/electrical failure or wear and tear to things like: head gaskets, gearboxes and suspension or if your battery for your hybrid or electric car has degraded. If there is resultant damage from the failure, then we would cover you for that damage, for example if your brakes were to fail which caused you to have an accident.
  • To reduce the chances of this happening to you, and also in line with our terms and conditions, make sure your car is serviced regularly and has an MOT test annually when your car is over 3 years old.

"Someone's had an accident whilst driving my car but they're not named on my insurance, am I covered?"

  • As they're not a named driver on your policy, you won't be covered by us for the damage to your car.
  • If they have insurance, check to see if they're covered for driving other cars. They can find this in their Certificate of Motor Insurance. There may be exclusions to this cover so make sure you've read the full terms and conditions.
  • We may seek recovery for any claim payments or costs, including those relating to third parties. Your details may also be passed to other agencies, which aim to prevent fraud and money laundering.

Now sit back, relax and start your quote