LV= General Insurance (LV= GI) has today issued fresh guidance to consumers ahead of storm Agnes which is due to hit the UK.
The warning to protect homes and cars comes as the insurer has seen flooding claims from drains being unable to cope increase by 211% between 2017- 2021. In addition, of all flooding claims managed by the insurer, drains unable to cope represents around 57% of claims, with the average cost per claim standing at around £32,000.
There are lots of things consumers can do to help protect their homes and cars, and planning is essential. Here are LV=’s top tips:
- Create a list of emergency contact numbers in case you're affected by flooding or storms. Include any home emergency helplines offered by your insurer, local authorities and utility companies. It’s a good idea to save all the numbers you need on your mobile phone – make sure it’s always fully charged in case of an emergency
- Keep an eye on weather forecasts and warnings for your area. The Met Office has a colour code to help you prepare for severe weather: Green = no severe weather, Yellow = be aware, Amber = be prepared, Red = take action
- Make some practical preparations around the home. Know where your fuse box is and clear drains and gutters of any leaves to help water drain away properly
- Move your car away from areas likely or prone to flooding - park at the top of a slope or hill if you can
- If you can, move important possessions upstairs and keep valuables locked safely away in a waterproof container that can be moved easily
- Secure anything in your garden that could damage your home in a storm, like loose ladders or garden furniture
- Put up flood defences before bad weather arrives; you can find sandbag-like products to block your home’s doors and entrances
- Lastly, have a copy of your home insurance policy documents and your policy number to hand. It will be useful if you do have to call to make a claim
Martin Milliner, Claims Director at LV= General Insurance, comments: “We’re seeing the intensity and frequency of scenarios like surface water flooding increase, which is being caused by heavy downpours of rain. It can happen incredibly quickly, and if you’ve never been flooded before then you might not expect it or prepare for it. Taking steps to prepare yourself can help minimise the damage and cause less stress too.
“Your insurer is there for you should the worst happen, so it’s vital to let your insurer know as soon as possible if you need to make a claim. Refer to your policy documents to see what you need to do if you need to make a claim.”
Notes to editors
More information on preparing for storms can be found here: Helpful tips to ride out a storm | LV=
For further information please contact:
Natasha King, LV= General Insurance Senior Press Officer, [email protected], 07443 237651
About Liverpool Victoria General Insurance
- LV= General Insurance provides car, home, pet, travel, landlord, breakdown and home emergency insurance to around 6.5 million customers in the UK.
- We’re the UK’s third largest personal lines insurer with just over £2 billion in annual premium in income.
- We offer our products and services directly to consumers as well as through intermediaries, including brokers, affinity partners and IFAs.
- LV= General Insurance uses the LV= brand under licence from the Liverpool Victoria Financial Services Group.
- We are part of the Allianz Group, one of the world's leading insurers and asset managers with more than 125 million retail and corporate customers.
- Within the Allianz Group, LV= General Insurance forms part of Allianz Personal, one of the largest personal lines insurers in the UK, with gross written premiums of £2.6 billion, almost 8 million customers and around 4,000 employees. Allianz Personal comprises LV= General Insurance, Petplan, Home & Legacy and Allianz Musical Insurance.
- The LV= General Insurance newsroom includes links to our news release archive and image library.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here
- Follow us on social media:
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/lv
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/lv-general-insurance
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/lv
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LV-LiverpoolVictoria
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lv_liverpoolvictoria/