One in five UK adults are willing to try an e-scooter, despite 93% never having used one before.
The latest research from specialist Electric Vehicle insurer, LV= General Insurance, has discovered that 28% of 18-34 year olds will be looking for alternative methods of transport when they return to the office.
Unsurprisingly, this number is even higher in London where 34% of commuters will be swapping the tube and bus network for something else in future. Of those who said they were keen to explore new ways of commuting, the key reasons were:
- Safety- 63%
- Environmental concerns - 38%
- Cost benefits – 29%
Within those who are positive about the technology, two thirds would prefer to own their e-scooter, as opposed to rent. Whilst safety was a key reason given to use an e-scooter, the vast majority still believe that safety equipment needs to be mandated, with 86% saying helmets should be required.
When it comes to insurance, 84% think there should be insurance specifically for electric scooters, and three quarters of those surveyed would like to see at least personal injury cover included.
Tom Clarke, LV= GI Head of Electric Vehicle Strategy, said:
“As the world returns back to a sense of normality, it’s clear that many people will be looking to use greener, safer and cheaper methods of transport. E-scooters can become a vital part of our travel ecosystem, particularly within cities. Providing the rental trial goes well, we’ll be calling on the Government to legislate for safety measures and insurance to be required by law for personal scooters, as this is what people have resoundingly told us.”
On 4th July 2020, the UK Government began a one-year e-scooter rental trial, within selected local authorities. Whilst use of private e-scooters is still illegal on public roads, the trial is hoping to understand how micromobility can play a part in providing greener transport options to reduce traffic and dependence on public transport within built-up areas.
Notes to editor:
Nationally representative study of UK population with 2,107 respondents. Carried out by YouGov on 29 June 2020.
 UK Population aged 18-44 years old. For all those aged over 18 this number was 13%.
About Liverpool Victoria General Insurance
- LV= General Insurance provides car, home, pet, travel, landlord breakdown and home emergency insurance to over 7 million customers in the UK.
- We’re the UK’s third largest personal lines insurer with just over £2 billion in annual premium income.
- We offer our products and services directly to consumers as well as through intermediaries, including brokers, affinity partners and IFAs.
- LV= General Insurance uses the LV= brand under licence from the Liverpool Victoria Financial Services Group.
- We are part of the Allianz Group, one of the world's leading insurers and asset managers with more than 92 million retail and corporate customers.
- The LV= General Insurance newsroom includes links to our news release archive and image library.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here.
- Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/lv
- Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/lv
- Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/lv