Buildings Insurance Explained

4 minutes

All of our content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts

Your home is your pride and joy. That’s why protecting your property with buildings insurance is a smart move.  

What is buildings insurance?

LV= underwriter, David Pounds states that buildings insurance provides you with financial protection by covering the structure of your property. This includes things like walls, windows, roof, and even fixtures and fittings, such as your bath or toilet. So, you can rest assured you'll receive financial and practical support in repairing and restoring your home to its original state.

We’ve created a comprehensive guide that includes everything you need to know about buildings insurance before you buy. We’ll explain what a typical policy covers, additional options you can purchase, and why it’s so useful.

Buildings insurance cover

Unlike contents insurance, which covers items, buildings insurance protects the structure of your home.

This includes damage from:

Buildings insurance also protects you against accidental damage and can help to cover the cost of repairs and alternative accommodation, should you need it.

It won’t insure you against:

  • Gradual wear and tear
  • Damage to external fixtures like gates, fences and guttering

What is covered by buildings insurance?

When you take out buildings insurance, you’re ensuring the investment you’ve made in your home is protected, should the worst happen.

Your insurer will reimburse you, up to a certain amount, should your home or certain fittings be damaged.

Your cover also provides you with a living subsidy up to a certain limit, to help you fund alternative accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable.

Some policies also offer a guarantee on any repairs made, should you choose to use a tradesman from an approved list.


Buildings insurance covers the structure of your property, including walls, windows, roof and even fixtures and fittings such as your bath or toilet.

What optional extras are there?

To top up the cover of a standard buildings insurance policy, you can purchase optional add-ons. These can be added after you receive the initial quote from your provider. 

These add-ons can include:

  • Additional accidental damage – protects you against accidental damage, like spillages and ceiling or wall damage, caused by children, pets or other occupants
  • Personal belongings – insures against the cost of replacing personal items up to a certain value if they are damaged or stolen when you’re away from home
  • Bicycles – covers bikes and accessories, valued up to a certain amount, if they’re stolen or damaged away from home when securely locked
  • Legal expenses – pays your legal costs, up to a certain amount, should you pursue a personal injury claim, legal homeowner rights case, or identity fraud claim
  • Home emergency – provides you with a subsidy to help with central heating failure, blocked drains or loss of power

What about contents insurance?

Contents cover complements buildings insurance, insuring items in your home, such as furniture and appliances.

Like buildings insurance, a policy will pay out for natural and accidental damage, as well as theft and vandalism. To find out more about this type of cover, read our guide to contents insurance. 

Landlords’ building insurance

If you’re renting out a property, then landlord insurance might be the best option. It provides cover to protect you and your tenants should something go wrong.

Landlord insurance covers damage or theft to your property and certain items but also gives you legal liability cover, which is crucial.

If you’re currently renting out a property, or you’re thinking of doing so, consider getting a landlord insurance quote to ensure you’re covered. 

There are 2 types of landlord insurance cover:

  • Landlords buildings insurance – insures the structure of your rental property, covering against accidental damage, theft or vandalism by your tenants that could invalidate your landlord insurance. A policy will also pay out for any lost rent, should your rental property become uninhabitable through damage and your tenants require alternative accommodation.
  • Landlords contents insurance – covers items within a flat or house, insuring items you own that are being used by tenants. 

Note: this cover is only available if you’re a leasehold flat owner who isn’t responsible for insuring the whole building.

Ready to protect your home and assets? Check out our buildings insurance to ensure you’re covered, whatever happens.