Driving abroad… what do I need and which countries am I covered to drive my car in?

If you’re planning a road trip abroad then it’s a good idea to check whether you’re already covered to drive your car in any of the countries you plan to visit or if you need any additional cover.

The good news is, our comprehensive car insurance covers you in the EU in exactly the same way as it does in the UK for up to 180 days. Countries like France, Spain, Italy and Germany are included, for example, as are Poland, Romania and some other European countries, like Montenegro.

You’ll find the full list of countries covered below along with some commonly asked questions about driving your car abroad. Don’t forget to follow any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and familiarise yourself with the regulations for the cross-border transport of goods.

Want to see your LV= insurance documents? Log in or register for an online account and download the Amazon Alexa Skill to ask a question.

Your questions on our Comprehensive Car Insurance and driving abroad, along with permits, green cards and other documentation are answered below...

What does LV= Comprehensive Car Insurance cover?

Permits, Green Cards and other documentation

Not what you were looking for? Find your answer in our car FAQ hub.

Sorry if any of this sounds like jargon. You'll find an explanation in our car insurance glossary...