Heading abroad? Follow these simple steps for a safe, stress-free holiday.
Before you head off on holidays, get travel aware. By taking a few simple precautions and making preparations before you travel, you can reduce the likelihood of any problems while you're away.
We're working with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to help British nationals stay safe abroad. The FCO website offers straightforward travel advice, top tips and up-to-the-minute country information to help you plan your holiday.
Travel Aware: Before you go
On the holiday countdown? Before you head off, here's a few things to tick off your checklist.
- Make sure you have valid travel insurance that covers everything you want to do - even if you're only planning a short trip
- Check what vaccinations you need by visiting www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk, your travel health clinic or GP at least six weeks before you travel
- Read up on your destination, including local laws and customs
- Make photocopies of your passport, visas and insurance details and leave a copy with a relative or friend at home
Travel Aware: MOre information
Feel like you're forgetting something? Check the Travel Aware website to make sure you're good to go. The website includes:
- Travel and health advice for specific countries including areas that might be risky to visit, or best avoided altogether (remember you may not be covered by your travel insurance if the FCO advise against travelling to a certain area)
- Information on what the local British Consulate can and can't do to help if you run into problems abroad
- Online checklists for what to do before you set off
- Special precautions for groups such as women, gay and lesbian travellers, gap year students and sports supporters