LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Getting home if there's a problem with your passport

 Open passport icon

What to do if something happens to your passport while you're abroad

If your passport is lost, stolen, destroyed or expires while you're abroad, don't panic, because you will be able to get home safely.

If you're a British national, you can use an emergency travel document, or ‘emergency passport', to leave the country you're in and return back home. This can be issued on short notice while you're overseas

Your passport is covered if you have selected baggage and personal belongings cover.

If your passport is lost, stolen or destroyed whilst you're on your trip:

  • we pay up to £500 for the cost of extra transport, accommodation and administration costs you have to pay to get a temporary passport so you can return home
  • we pay the equivalent cost (based on the current replacement costs) of the period left on your passport if it is lost, stolen or destroyed

If you have selected a Premier policy then an additional £1,000 for each person shown as covered on the policy is available for you to get to your destination or back home if:

  • you are not allowed to board your pre booked transport for reasons outside of your control
  • no suitable alternative is provided that is scheduled to depart within 24 hours of your original departure time

If you are due to travel within 7 days of your trip start date and your passport is lost, stolen or destroyed, we pay up to £500 for the cost of extra transport, accommodation and administration costs you have to pay to get a replacement so you can travel.

If it isn't possible to get a replacement in time for you to travel as scheduled, we pay up to £500 towards the cost of your trip if you have to cancel, or towards alternative travel to get you to your destination.

Please allow enough time on your passport for you to get home as your policy doesn't provide cover if it expires.

Open passport with visa stamps on the page

"My passport's been stolen, what do I do?"

If your passport is stolen, you must contact the local police and report it. Make sure you keep any crime report details and reference numbers given to you by the police, as you may need these when applying for an emergency passport, as well as for your travel insurance claim.

Just as you'd cancel a credit card if it was lost or stolen, it's advisable to cancel your UK passport too. Do this before you apply for an emergency travel document, to save it from being compromised and used for ID theft.

"There's a problem with my passport and I've left home already, what do I do?"

If you're abroad and your passport has expired or is severely damaged and you can't use it on your return journey, you can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes called an ‘emergency passport’)

Check if emergency travel documents are accepted in the countries you’re travelling through. Read the entry requirement section of the latest travel advice for each country.

There’s a different way to get a passport urgently if you’re in the UK.

Only apply for an ‘emergency passport' if you need to travel before you can get a replacement passport.

Open passport which has been torn across the corner

Need Help?

Sorry, our interactive FAQ service is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later.