Travelling with your pet? Here's everything you need to know.
Our LV= pet cover gives up to the following amounts towards quarantine kennelling and costs you have to pay to obtain a replacement pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate for your pet should their microchip fail:
Time limited policies – up to £1,500
Lifetime policies – up to £2,000
This cover includes your pet going into quarantine because of illness despite complying with all the relevant regulations. We won't pay any costs for quarantine kennelling that's only necessary because of your pet's behavioural, mental or emotional problem or any vicious tendencies.
All we ask is that you keep all documentation in a safe place, as we'll need to see this if you need to make a claim.
Repeat tapeworm treatment
If your pet's scheduled departure back to the UK is delayed by your carrier we'll pay up to £1,000, towards costs to get your pet's tapeworm treatment done again to comply with the Pet Travel Scheme.
Just so you know, we won't pay for any worming treatment unless the reason your pet needs this is due to a delayed scheduled departure that's outside of your control.
Replacement pet passport
We all know how stressful it is to lose a passport so to help you to get home we'll pay towards obtaining the necessary paperwork to allow you to re-enter the UK with your pet up to the following limits:
Time limited policies up to £250
Lifetime policies up to £500
Just be aware, this cover is only available if you lose your pet's EU passport or third country official veterinary certificate during your trip or their microchip fails and you report the loss to the issuing vet within 24 hours of discovery - you must provide evidence that this was done.
Additional transport and accommodation costs
We hope your furry friend enjoys their holiday but just in case they become ill, or go missing we'll pay for additional accommodation and transport costs up to the following limits:
Time limited policies up to £750
Lifetime policies up to £1,000
This cover is only available whilst you and your pet are abroad and:
- They become ill or injured and are not well enough to travel back to the UK as originally scheduled. We will only pay for costs up until your pet is well enough to travel back to the UK.
- They go missing within the three days before your scheduled return date. We provide cover for additional costs to stay a maximum of four days from when your pet goes missing.
- You lose your pet's passport and you have to miss your scheduled departure back to the UK in order to get the necessary replacement paperwork.
- Your pet's microchip fails and you have to miss your scheduled departure back to the UK in order to get the necessary replacement paperwork.
- Travel home is delayed by your carrier and you miss your rescheduled departure because you need to get your pet's tapeworm treatment repeated.
Travelling with pets guide
Taking your pets on holiday can be just as much fun for them as it is for you. But just like us, they need to be looked after while you travel together. Here are our top tips to keep them safe:
- Use a pet carrier or harness to stop your pet running about the car
- Keep your pet from becoming anxious and causing harm while you travel
- Plan your journeys carefully, and stop regularly for feeding and toilet breaks (pet AND owner!)
This article contains links to other sites, and we're not responsible for the contents of any of these websites.
All content is approved by our in-house advisory board of experts.