Insurance FAQs

Will I need a Green Card or any other documents to travel in the EU?

As of 2 August 2021, you no longer need a green card to drive your car in most EU countries. Only Albania, Morocco, Serbia and Turkey now require them as standard.

You may need to display a country of origin sticker on your car. You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

• A paper driving licence

• A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

Check online to see if you need an international driving permit (IDP) or ask at your local Post Office.

If you have European cover (shown as ‘Foreign Use’ on your policy schedule), you’re all set to go with cover for up to 180 days.

It’s a good idea to take your car insurance policy documents and your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad.

There are a few more things to do before visiting the EU, like checking your passport and any travel advice for the countries you’ll be driving in.

Bon voyage!


LV= is not responsible for content on third party websites.