LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Know when to claim on your motorbike insurance

Woman with a thought bubble with a question mark in it

Could I claim?

Here are some common questions and answers to help explain what is and isn't covered by your LV= motorbike insurance.

Icon of a motorbike and a failed MOT certificate

"My bike has failed its MOT because it was laid up over the winter period, can I claim?"

We don't cover wear and tear on a vehicle; normally MOT failures are due to exactly this. Tyres, chains, brakes, springs - all these parts are consumable items that need to be checked and maintained at regular intervals. Also, there's no cover if your bike loses value because it hasn't been used.

"My bike was vandalised when it was parked up at a bike meet. Can I claim and will I lose my No Claim Discount?"

Yes, you can claim for vandalism. You'll need to pay your excess but you won't lose any No Claim Discount you've built up.

Icon of a row of motorbikes

Icon of a motorbike in water

"My bike has been written off following an accident and it's on finance, will you pay it all off?"

We will only pay the current market value of the bike unless you have an agreed value. Depending on the type of finance agreement you have, we will pay up to the market value of the vehicle to the owners of the vehicle. If the market value doesn't match the amount you still owe, you may be liable to make up the shortfall to the provider.

"A friend lent me his bike to use while he was away, I had an accident that was my fault, can I claim for the damage?"

Unfortunately not. Although most policies provide cover for damage to other bikes, this is limited to third party only, covering any damage to third party property or people. There'll be no cover for the damage to the bike you borrowed. If you want to have comprehensive cover, your friend will need to arrange this on their motorcycle policy.

Icon of a damaged motorbike that has hit a postbox

Icon of a person riding a bike delivering christmas presents

"I use my bike for delivering Easter and Christmas presents to a local hospital - will I be covered for the journeys?"

Yes, the policy covers use for voluntary journeys; many clubs do charity runs for example. As long as you don't get any payment other than reasonable expenses, you're covered.

Need Help?

Sorry, our interactive FAQ service is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later.