Motorbike insurance claims considerations

Know what's covered by your motorbike insurance?

Have a read about the things that are covered under your policy – and what's not 

Help! I’ve had an accident on my partner’s motorbike and I’m not named on their policy. What do I do?”

  • As you aren’t named, you won’t be covered by your partner’s policy. 
  • But if you have your own policy, check if it covers ‘riding other bikes’. You should be able to find this within your policy documents / certificate of motor insurance.
  • Riding other bikes only extends to bikes that your licence allows you to ride and does not extend to cars.
  • There may be other exclusions to this cover so ensure you have read your terms and conditions fully. Riding other bikes cover is usually an entitlement for the policyholder only, and it will only cover you on a privately owned bike that doesn’t belong to you.
  • It’s worth remembering cover for riding other bikes is usually third party only cover which means if you have an accident whilst riding a bike that doesn’t belong to you,  your insurer will only pay for  injury to other people and damage to their property. Loss or damage to the bike you are riding will not be covered.

"I need to ride to a business meeting that isn't at my usual place of work, am I covered?"

Icon of a man on a motorbike with a city in the background
  • If you currently have social, domestic and pleasure use including commuting, the commuting use will only cover you to drive to your usual place of work each day. If you travel to different addresses for work, even if it’s just once you will need business use cover to be added to your policy.
  • Check your certificate of motor insurance to see what cover you have on your policy. This is located under section 6 of the certificate. The options for use are: Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes excluding commuting to work; Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes including commuting to a single place of work, provided no business visits are made on the way; and Use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and also additional business use, both including and excluding commercial travelling.
  • If the cover doesn't currently meet what you use your motorbike for, you can call our customer service team to discuss or amend your policy.

"I insure my child's motorbike in my name because it was too expensive for them to be the policyholder. Is this ok?"

Icon of a couple of motorbikes
  • Sorry, no. It means you are not paying the correct price. Whilst it's natural to want to help out friends and family, this is called 'fronting' and is actually a form of fraud.
  • You run the risk of your policy being made null and void, a claim not being paid, your premiums not being refunded and the insurance company seeking recovery for any claims payments or costs, including those relating to third parties.  Your details may also be passed to other agencies, which aim to prevent fraud and money laundering.

"My motorbike has been modified, am I covered?"

A modification is any change to your motorbike manufacturer's standard specification.

  • These include things like changing the exhaust, remapping the engine and any changes to paintwork, suspension, huggers, belly pans or levers.
  • If you don't tell us what modifications you or previous owners have made to your motorbike, you could risk any claims not being paid and your insurance policy being cancelled.

"I lost a set of motorbike keys while I was out shopping, what should I do?"

  • We pay to replace your lost or stolen ignition keys or other 'start' devices, as well as for all the locks to be replaced on your motorbike – so long as they weren't left in, on, attached to, or in the immediate proximity of your motorbike while it was unattended.

“My motorbike got stolen when I left it on the drive to warm up. I left the key in the ignition to keep the engine running. Can I claim?”

Icon of a motorbike and a set of keys
  • Don’t be victim to a theft. 
  • It is very easy on a cold winter’s morning to leave your bike on the driveway, turn it on so the engine or the heated grips warm up before you start your journey whilst you go back inside to finish your cup of coffee, or even if you leave the keys in the bike while you nip inside to get something you’ve forgotten.

But did you know we will not cover you if; 

  • the engine has been left running;
  • the ignition key or other ignition device is left in, on or attached to or left in the immediate proximity of your bike.

“I was riding home from work when my motorbike broke down. My garage said it has suffered from a mechanical failure in the engine. Can I claim?”

Comprehensive cover will only cover you for accidental damage, fire and theft.

  • We will not cover you if your motorbike has suffered a mechanical/electrical failure or wear and tear to things like; engine, wiring, brakes, suspension or exhaust damage.   If there is resultant damage from the failure, then we would cover you, for example if your brakes were to fail which caused you to have an accident.
  • To reduce the chances of this happening to you, and also in line with our terms and conditions, make sure your motorbike is serviced regularly and has an MOT test annually when your motorbike is over 3 years old.