LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Mortgage & Lifestyle Protection

Information for our existing customers including how to make a claim and how to contact us.

Man and a woman cleaning their windows

How to make a Mortgage and Lifestyle Protection claim

We understand it can be a difficult time when you need to make a claim. That's why we aim to make your claims experience as quick and hassle-free as possible.

Mortgage & Lifestyle Protection is made up of two elements:

  • Accident or Sickness Cover
  • Optional Unemployment Cover

Making a claim for either of these is slightly different so we've put together the following guide to help you through the claims process.

Don’t forget about the LV= Legal & Wellbeing Support Line

This service is available to you as soon as your policy starts as well as when making a claim.

Accident and Sickness Cover Claims

What to do first

  • Contact us as soon as possible - you can call, write or email us.
  • We'll then post a claims pack to you within 24 hours.
  • We'll make things as easy and straightforward as possible for you and guide you through the process.
  • Continue to pay your premiums while you wait to hear from us.

Ways to contact us

  • Call us on 0800 756 5869 or for TextDirect call 1800 10800 756 5869
    We are available between 8.30am – 6.30pm, Monday to Friday
  • E-mail us at
  • Write to us: LV= Health Claims Team, LV=, Emperor House, Grenadier Road, Exeter Business Park, Exeter, EX1 3LH.
  • If you're calling from overseas, you can contact us on +44 1392 366 685

Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for training and audit purposes.

Unemployment Cover Claims

Unemployment cover that started before 1 May 2008

  • Please check to see if your unemployment cover was taken out before 01 May 2008. If so, you are insured with Covea Insurance plc and so you'll need to contact them on 03301 348409 to make a claim.
  • When you call Covea you will need to quote the ‘PI number’ shown on your policy schedule and let them know that your unemployment cover was sold through LV= and is stored on their ‘Bordereaux Data system’.
  • Covea will be responsible for all aspects of your claim, including sending out the claim form, the initial assessment, all reviews and the payment of any benefit to you.

Unemployment cover taken out after 1 May 2008

  • Check the policy conditions and your schedule to see if your circumstances are covered.
  • Please contact us as soon as you are made involuntarily unemployed - you can call or e-mail us. We’ll call you back straight away to talk you through the claims process and make sure that we send the right claims information to you.
  • Please also contact your local Jobcentre to arrange an appointment to register your claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Steps for Unemployment Cover claims

Step 1 - What we'll need

After you've received the claims information from us, please send your completed claims forms back to us, including the financial questionnaire and the following documents:

  • Your previous employers statement confirming that you have been made involuntarily redundant – this should be completed and signed by your previous employers or their administrators, if the business has gone into liquidation
  • Financial information – such as your last three payslips, your most recent P60 and your P45
  • The benefit award letter issued to you by the Jobcentre

If we need additional information from you we'll explain why and keep you informed of the progress of your claim.

Step 2 - How we assess your claim

  • We’ll contact you each month to make sure that you’re continuing to meet the conditions of a claim.
  • We may also contact your employer to check the background to your unemployment or to clarify details of your income.
  • If you’ve received a payment instead of having to work your notice, normally referred to a pay in lieu of notice, we’ll take the first day of your unemployment as the day after your pay in lieu period ends.
  • The benefits payable during your claim are directly linked to what you earned before you lost your job. Your policy will clarify what your maximum benefit is, but we may need to reduce the payments that we make to you if your income has gone down since the policy was first taken out.

Step 3 - The decision

Once we’ve received all the information requested we’ll do the following:

  • Let you know if your claim has been accepted and if so confirm the details of how and when the first payment will be made to you.
  • If you added premium waiver when you applied for your cover then we’ll set this up at the same time so that we continue to pay your monthly premiums for you.
  • At regular intervals during your claim, we’ll ask you to send us your bank statements showing that Jobseekers allowance is being paid to you, plus any other relevant information we may need.
  • We’ll also ask you to provide us with evidence that you are looking for work throughout your claim.
  • We’ll continue to pay you until you find new employment, become self-employed or a director, no longer receive Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or National Insurance (NI) credits, or you have received benefit for the whole of the 12 month claim limit.

Unfortunately there are some claims that we can’t pay. Not paying a claim is rare and we’ll always fully consider and review all the evidence before we make a decision and explain our reasons for doing so.

Helping you get back to work

We want to help you get back to work and recognise that temporary jobs sometimes lead to permanent employment, and that volunteering can enhance your CV, so do let us know if you are interested in doing this type of work and give us full details of that work before you start it.

  • You can start doing temporary work whilst you're claiming, so long as the temporary contract is for less than 6 months.
  • We also allow you to do some voluntary work during your claim, so long as it is for a registered charity or similar, and it doesn’t interfere with your ability to look for a new job. Please call us if you are considering either of these types of work.
  • Tax – under the tax rules at present all unemployment claims are paid tax free, however you’ll need to check with your tax office regarding your personal circumstances.

Read our frequently asked questions on Mortgage & Lifestyle Protection claims.