- With more time being spent in the garden last year, fire claims from bonfires doubled.
- Thefts within the home down 34% vs thefts from gardens up 21%.
Increase in claims for blockages and tech damages as people continue to work from home.
With the country going back into lockdown, LV= General Insurance (LV=GI), the UK’s third largest insurance provider, reveals some of the home insurance trends that have emerged as a result of more time being spent at home and in the garden over the last nine months.
Since the lockdown began in March 2020, the LV= General Insurance Claims team has been dealing with a range of increased insurance claims relating to the home and garden including:
- 225% increase in fire claims specifically relating to bonfires;
- 56% increase in fire claims caused by cigarettes, matches, and lighters;
- 40% increase in the proportion of blockages;
- 21% increase in the proportion of bicycle thefts from gardens; and
- 14% increase in claims for breakage/dropped/knocked/fall of items such as computer/ office equipment and damage to glasses
On the flipside, there has been a decrease in some claims, including:
- 34% decrease in the proportion of house burglaries;
- 26% decrease in the proportion of accidental loss claims away from the home; and
- 13% decrease in the proportion of claims for damage caused by an animal.
Commenting on the data, Martin Milliner, Claims Director at LV= GI said: “Since the first lockdown in March last year, many of us have been spending more time at home, and our home insurance trend data certainly reflects that. Being at home more often means we’re more likely to drop things and have accidents inside, whereas we’ve seen a decrease in claims from outside the home such as accidental loss. It’s also encouraging to see a decrease in burglary claims.
“With the country now back in lockdown, we expect we’ll see these trends pick up again and we’d encourage homeowners to think about some of the steps they can take to look after their home, gardens and contents. We all know how to avoid accidents, but it’s easy to forget, and we hope our tips are a helpful reminder. Activities such as a bonfire can be a serious risk if it gets out of control, so please do take care and never leave one unattended.”
Here are some top tips from LV= GI to help people protect their home and contents:
- Try to lock up bicycles with padlocks in sheds and garages or bring them into your home to avoid letting thieves getting their hands on them.
- Keep bonfires under control by surrounding with stones or bricks and ensure it’s far enough away from your home as well as any outbuildings / sheds and neighbouring properties. Also check the weather conditions and direction of the wind.
- After smoking a cigarette or using a lighter or match, ensure it’s been properly put out / distinguished.
- With more people at home, blockages are easy but ensuring you only put things down plugholes, sinks and toilets that can easily work through the system will help, and try using unblocking products for the home more frequently.
- Try not to keep items such as mobile phones and glasses in pockets which may fall out/ get squashed/ or end up in the washing machine or toilet.
About Liverpool Victoria General Insurance Group Limited
- LV= General Insurance provides car, home, pet, travel, landlord breakdown and home emergency insurance to over 7 million customers in the UK.
- We’re the UK’s third largest personal lines insurer with just over £2 billion in annual premium income.
- We offer our products and services directly to consumers as well as through intermediaries, including brokers, affinity partners and IFAs.
- LV= General Insurance uses the LV= brand under licence from the Liverpool Victoria Financial Services Group and the L&G brand under licence from the Legal & General Group.
- We are part of the Allianz Group, one of the world's leading insurers and asset managers with more than 92 million retail and corporate customers.
- The LV= General Insurance newsroom includes links to our news release archive and image library.
- Read more about us for an introduction to what we do and how we do it
- Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/lv?lang=en
- Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/lv