LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Income Protection

Provides you with a regular income if you're unable to work because of an accident or sickness.

  • Pays out if you're too ill to work because of an accident of sickness
  • Gives you monthly payments so you can continue to pay your bills when your income stops
  • Available as comprehensive or budget cover
Man in a leg cast on the sofa with his wife

Frequently Asked Questions on Income Protection claims

Why have you asked to see the birth certificate or passport?

We need to confirm the date of birth of the person insured to make sure that he or she has been paying the correct premiums.

I haven't paid my last few premiums – can I still make a claim?

We'll send out a claim form, and will begin the initial assessment of the claim, but if you have payments outstanding we'll need these to be paid before we'll pay the claim. If you don't we may not be able to pay the claim in full. Once any outstanding premiums are paid, the payments must continue unless we tell you otherwise.

What is your response time to enquiries?

We do our best to respond to any enquiries as quickly as possible. But depending on the type of your enquiry it may take us up to five days to get back to you.

What financial information do you require?

Typically P60s, self-assessment forms and/or business accounts.

Do you allow partial benefits if I go back to work or start another job?

Yes, depending on the type of cover you have, we may be able to make partial payments based on the hours that you work and the loss of your income.

What if I have income on which I am not taxed?

If you have non-taxable income then it won't count as part of your pre-disability income. You won't get benefit payments in respects of such monies. We don't deduct this income if it continues whilst you are off sick.

I have recently been made redundant. Can I claim on this policy?

No. Income Protection policies will only cover you when you are unable to work as a result of sickness or an accident. To claim for unemployment, you have to have a specific unemployment policy.

However for some of our newer policies (taken out after January 2017) if you've been made involuntarily unemployed you may be able to claim for up to six months premiums to be paid by us. Please check your policy conditions for details.

Are the payments I get when I claim paid tax-free?

Claims paid from this plan won't be subject to either Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax. If we pay a claim because you have died, the payment will usually be paid to the estate of the policyholder. If the policyholder is also the person who has died then the payment may be subject to Inheritance Tax.

Tax treatment depends on your personal circumstances. This is based on our understanding of current legislation and HM Revenue & Customs practice, which can change.

When will you pay my claim?

We’ll pay your claim if, following the waiting period, because of sickness or accident, you’re unable to work. We use different measures to determine whether you're unable to work, and these are explained in section A of the policy conditions. The benefit is paid monthly in arrears.

For some of our newer policies (those taken out after January 2017) we also offer fracture cover, a death benefit and also payment of premiums if you become involuntarily unemployed

If your claim is in relation to fracture cover or the death benefit there are no waiting periods.

If your claim is in relation to payment of the plan premium because you have become involuntarily unemployed (not in the first 90 days of your policy starting), you'll be able to make a claim straight away. Please see the policy conditions for more details.

When won't you pay my claim?

We wish we could pay out 100% of claims, but there are cases when we’re unable to make payment. If we didn’t operate a responsible policy in paying out claims, the cost of cover for everyone else would become prohibitively expensive. Rest assured that we judge all claims on a case by case basis.

What is your claims record like?

We're here to pay claims, not wriggle out of them. In 2016, we paid out 90% of the new income protection claims we received.

What are the most common types of claim you pay?

View our claims performance to get more information.

What if a claim is fraudulent?

We won't pay a claim if we find out that it's fraudulent. For example, the insured person's illness isn't real or it has been deliberately exaggerated.

What is misrepresentation?

We may not pay out or may reduce the amount we pay if you don’t tell us relevant information about your health or lifestyle, or don’t tell us about a significant change in your circumstances between when you apply for your policy and when it starts. For example, you haven’t told us on your application form that you’re already being treated for a particular disease. If you completed the application form truthfully and accurately then you won't have any problems. If you would like a copy of your application form then please ask.

What happens if I don't pay my premiums?

In most cases your cover will stop and your policy will be cancelled if you stop paying your premiums for your policy.

What happens if my cover term has finished?

We won’t pay out if the term of your policy has finished or you’ve cancelled the policy. For example, if you took out a policy to cover the length of your mortgage and you become ill after the term has finished, you won’t be able to claim.


Under the tax rules at present all payments under individual income protection policies are totally free from all forms of taxation. Any reference we make to taxation is based on our understanding of current legislation and HM Revenue & Customs practice, which can change.

There may be ways we can assist your recovery and return to work

Examples could be a specialist referral, therapeutic help, help with updating your CV and retraining assistance if you’re unable to return to the same job.

Redundant/not working

If you are not employed when you fall ill we may still be able to consider a claim but we would do so against an alternative definition in your policy. Please read your own policy to get the exact wording or you can ring us for advice.

However for some of our newer policies (taken out after January 2017) if you've been made involuntarily unemployed you may be able to claim for up to six months premiums to be paid by us. Please check your policy conditions for details.