Insurance FAQs

Will I need to have certain types of locks or an alarm on my home?

Some properties need more security features to protect you and us against loss. We let you know when you get a quote if we would need your home to have additional security features installed. You'll also find this information under the personal details section of your home insurance documents.

If your documents show your home needs a certain level of security, we'll only provide cover for theft or attempted theft if the following security is used when your home is left unattended.

Your doors need to be secured with one of these four types of lock:

  • Mortice deadlocks with at least five levers
  • Locks to a minimum rating of British Standard BS3621
  • Three point multi locking system (double glazed doors)
  • Existing locks plus key operated locks fitted top and bottom

Window locks:

All your windows need to have key operated window locks


If we ask for an alarm, it needs to be (or have been) fitted by an NSI or SSAIB approved installer.


If you can't find your LV= insurance documents:

Just log in or register for an online account plus download the Alexa Skill to make fact-finding easier.