LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Home insurance for new build properties

Protect your brand new home with buildings and contents insurance

new build house plans, hard hat and keys

The smell of fresh paint. The brand new kitchen and sparkling bathroom suite. Windows that keep out the wind and doors that block draughts. There's a lot to be said for moving into a new build home.

Have you got the right insurance for your new home?

Whether you've designed every inch of it yourself or bought 'off plan' from a developer, moving in to a newly built home is exciting.

You've probably already had a hand in the layout and finish of the kitchen, the type of flooring you want and the tiles in the bathroom, so it immediately feels like home.

Plus, new builds are often more energy efficient than old Victorian semis. They don't have woodworm and you can be (almost) 100% sure that the roof won't leak.

But if the roof does leak - who's responsible for fixing it?

Check your new build warranty

About 80% of all new homes built in the UK are protected by an NHBC warranty or insurance policy. NHBC is the UK's leading independent standard-setting body and provider of warranties for new homes. 'Buildmark' is their new build warranty.

Many mortgage lenders won't lend on a new build home unless there's a Buildmark warranty in place. House builders that are registered with the NHBC must comply with certain build standards and their work is covered by the ten-year Buildmark warranty.

During the first two years of the warranty, the builder is liable for putting right any problems with your home, no matter how large or small, if they have failed to comply with NHBC standards.

But if your new roof starts leaking because it gets hit by lightning – then what?

Many mortgage lenders won't lend on a new build home unless there's a Buildmark warranty in place

Buildmark doesn't protect against fire or flood

The NHBC Buildmark warranty only covers you against repairs to your home that need to be made because of poor workmanship. If anything else happens to your new build, for example flooding due to bad weather, the fabric of your home and all the lovely things you have in it are not covered by the ten-year warranty.

So, you'll need home insurance from the date you complete the sale. In fact, some mortgage lenders may demand you get buildings insurance from the day you exchange contracts with the builder or developer.

Protect your investment with home insurance

There are two types of insurance for your home – buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can buy them together as home insurance or you can buy them independently.

Buildings insurance helps pay for any damage to your property as a result of:

  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Some water and oil leaks
  • Storm or flooding
  • Subsidence, heave or landslip
  • Theft and vandalism
  • Impact - such as a tree falling

We cover you for damage not only to the house itself, but to gates and fences, private garages and outbuildings, drives and patios, swimming pools and tennis courts and even solar panels. It also includes your baths, basins and toilets.

Contents insurance helps pay for damage to the things in your property because of:

  • Fire, storm and flood
  • Accidents
  • Theft and vandalism

Our contents insurance covers your household items, such as sofas and chairs, valuables, like jewellery and paintings and even office equipment. It also covers your TVs and tablets, cash, credit cards and bicycles. Plus you can add optional accident damage cover for extra protection against DIY disasters or pet damage.

Legal expenses cover

Buying a new build property can be a complicated business and you may find yourself in a dispute with the builder through no fault of your own.

Legal expenses cover will help you pay for solicitor's fees if you have a good chance of a successful outcome for your case. It can help you protect your rights as a homeowner, such as disputing faulty workmanship or disagreements over boundaries.

We're not responsible for the content on other websites

Choose the level of home insurance you need