Home insurance for new build properties

Simple steps to make sure your home is insured if you're flooded

5 minutes

The smell of fresh paint. The brand new kitchen and sparkling bathroom suite. Windows that keep out the wind and doors that block draughts.

There's a lot to be said for moving into a new build home.

Have you got the right insurance for your new home?

With at least 23 million households using gas central heating to heat their homes and changing weather patterns causing more flooding, there's a possibility that more of us may be affected by water damage to our homes in the future.

Although flooding grabs the headlines, it's actually burst and leaking pipes that cost £1.8 million worth of damage to UK homes every day.

Check your new build warranty

About 80% of all new homes built in the UK are protected by an NHBC warranty or insurance policy. NHBC is the UK's leading independent standard-setting body and provider of warranties for new homes. 'Buildmark' is their build warranty.

Many mortgage lenders won't lend on a new build home unless there's a Buildmark warranty in place. House builders that are registered with the NHBC must comply with certain build standards and their work is covered by the ten-year Buildmark warranty.

During the first two years of the warranty, the builder is liable for putting right any problems with your home, no matter how large or small, if they have failed to comply with NHBC standards.

But if your new roof starts leaking because it gets hit by lightning – then what?
Many mortgage lenders won't lend on a new build home unless there's a Buildmark warranty in place

Buildmark doesn't protect against fire or flood

The NHBC Buildmark warranty only covers you against repairs to your home that need to be made because of poor workmanship. If anything else happens to your new build, for example flooding due to bad weather, the fabric of your home and all the lovely things you have in it are not covered by the ten-year warranty.

So, you'll need home insurance from the date you complete the sale. In fact, some mortgage lenders may demand you get buildings insurance from the day you exchange contracts with the builder or developer.

Protect your investment with home insurance

There are two types of insurance for your home – buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can buy them together as home insurance or you can buy them independently.

Buildings insurance helps pay for any damage to your property as a result of:
  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Some water and oil leaks
  • Storm or flooding
  • Subsidence, heave or landslip
  • Theft and vandalism
  • Impact - such as a tree falling
We cover you for damage not only to the house itself, but to gates and fences (not covered for flood and storm damage), private garages and outbuildings, drives and patios, swimming pools and tennis courts and even solar panels. It also includes your baths, basins and toilets.

Contents insurance helps pay for damage to the things in your property because of:
  • Fire, storm and flood
  • Accidents
  • Theft and vandalism

Our contents insurance covers your household items, such as sofas and chairs, valuables, like jewellery and paintings and even office equipment. It also covers your TVs and tablets, cash, credit cards and bicycles. Plus you can add optional accidental damage cover for extra protection against DIY disasters or pet damage.
Buying a new build property can be a complicated business and you may find yourself in a dispute with the builder through no fault of your own.

Legal expenses cover will help you pay for solicitor's fees if you have a good chance of a successful outcome for your case. It can help you protect your rights as a homeowner, such as disputing faulty workmanship or disagreements over boundaries.

This guide contains links to other sites, and we're not responsible for the contents of any of these websites.