Brexit and Your Insurance

Wondering how Brexit will affect your insurance? 

Motor Insurance

Your car, motorbike or classic car insurance policy...

If you’re going to be taking your car abroad, including to the Republic of Ireland, you no longer need to carry a Green Card for your car.

You may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

A paper driving licence
A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

Check with the Post Office or embassy of the country you’ll be driving in.

More information on IDP’s is available here. 

If you have European cover (shown as ‘Foreign Use’ on your policy schedule), you’re all set to go with cover for up to 180 days. 

It’s a good idea to take your car insurance policy documents and your vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad. 


If you plan on towing on your European trip, you should check if you need to register your caravan or trailer, as some countries require you to display a separate registration plate.

If you do, it means you’ll also need to carry a green card for the trailer or caravan (but not your car). If you’re insured with LV= you can email [email protected] and let us know:

• Your policy number, vehicle registration and postcode 
• The make of the caravan or trailer 
• The registration number of the caravan or trailer

Please allow enough time for your Green Card to arrive. We’ll post it 1st Class on the next working day.

Green Cards are valid until your next policy renewal date, so you can travel as much as you like on the same Green Card within the 180-day policy limit.

If your car is with another insurer, contact them to arrange a green card.

You must make sure you take a physical copy of your Green Card with you when travelling abroad, as digital copies may not be accepted.

If you require a Green Card when travelling abroad and do not have a valid one, you may be refused entry to the country you’re travelling to or you could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.


Caravan and Trailer Insurance

What about your caravan and trailer insurance policy? 

Icon of a car towing a caravan

If you plan on towing abroad (including to the Republic of Ireland), you may still need a Green Card for your caravan or trailer (but not your car). If this is the case, you should contact your car insurer.

If your car insurance is with LV=, please follow the instructions under the motor insurance section above.


Breakdown Cover

Your breakdown cover won't change...

Icon of a breakdown van towing a broken down car to a gas station
If you have our European Assist cover, you’re protected against breakdown when driving in Europe.