You're in good company. Cover your car with us and join the 2 million people like you we're already looking after.
- Defaqto has given our car insurance a 5 Star Rating, its highest level of rating – for the 19th year in a row
Why choose LV= for your car insurance?
- Uninsured driver promise - If the other driver is not insured and the accident's not your fault, you keep your no claim discount and there's no excess to pay – as long as you have the details of the other vehicle and driver
- Discount for customers when you buy your car insurance online*. (*customers buying online receive a 5% discount, excludes add-ons)
- Lifetime guarantee on repairs when using our recommended repairer service, for as long as you own the vehicle. Labour only, excludes parts.
From theft to write-offs and even lost keys, you'll be covered with us. Here's what you'll like about our comprehensive cover
- Windscreen repair and replacement
We’ll cover all the glass in your car under your windscreen cover. Plus, windscreen claims don't affect your no claim discount.
- Earning No Claim Discount (NCD)
NCD is a discount on your car insurance as a reward for being claim free. You’ll earn a year of NCD for every year you don't make a claim. If you're in an accident that isn't your fault and we recover the cost from the liable driver's insurer, your NCD won't be affected.
- Accidental damage cover
Scratched or dented your car? We pay for repairs so it's as good as it was before the accident.
- Vandalism promise
If your car is vandalised and you have to claim, you'll keep your no claim discount – you'll just need to pay your excess.
- New locks and keys
If your keys are lost or stolen. After all, accidents happen.
Take a look at all of our car insurance products...
Electric car insurance
Going green? Great! On top of the usual stuff, we’ll cover you for charging cables, wall boxes, batteries and adaptors. Plus, if you run out of juice, we’ll get you to the nearest UK charging point (no worries, this won’t affect your NCD).
Multi car insurance
Got a few cars on the drive? No problem, you can cover up to 6 cars and 12 drivers on one policy. One policy doesn’t mean one size fits all though, you can tailor the cover levels, extras and start dates for each of your cars. This is the cheapest way to cover multiple cars with us.
Learner driver insurance
Learning to drive or have someone in your home that is? You can add a learner driver to your existing LV= car insurance policy. One policy, one less thing to worry about.
What are the different car insurance cover levels?
There are three main levels of car insurance cover, summarised as follows:
Third party only
This is the minimum cover level required by law. So, if you’re involved in an accident that was your fault, we’ll pay out for any damage or injury you cause to other people and their property. But it doesn’t include cover for damage to your car. Third party cover is normally the cheapest cover available.
Third party, fire and theft
In addition to the cover provided by a third party only policy, this cover level protects your car from damage caused by fire,theft and attempted theft and claims from a third party if you’re involved in an incident.
This is the highest level of car insurance cover. It includes third party, fire and theft, and also covers the cost of repairing or replacing your car if it’s vandalised or involved in an accident. It includes additional cover benefits, such as windscreen damage, driving in Europe and, if you choose the option, a hire car to replace yours if it’s off the road due to vandalism or being involved in an accident.
Like to learn a little more? Head over to our complete guide to comprehensive car insurance.
More about LV= car insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
What info do I need to get a car insurance quote?
For a quicker car insurance quote, make sure you've got all of this to hand:
- Driver details – personal details like your date of birth address and occupation for you and any named drivers. Your driving licence information, such as licence number, type and details of any endorsements you have.
- Claims history – details of any claims or accidents, including dates for you and any named drivers and the number of no claim discount (NCD) years you have.
- Car details – information about your car such as the engine size, estimated mileage and where it’s kept overnight.
- Eligibility – to make sure we can insure you, we’ll need to know if you are a UK resident and legally entitled to drive.
At LV=, we want to help you to find the right car insurance at the best price. Just because you may find it cheaper elsewhere, it may not necessarily provide you with everything you need.
For a complete list of what's needed and why, visit our guide to what you need to get a car insurance quote.
What factors can affect the price I pay for my car insurance?
Many factors can affect the price you pay for your car insurance. Remember, sometimes the cheapest car insurance may not offer the most comprehensive cover. Here’s what we take into account:
- Your age and how much experience you have behind the wheel. Because the more experienced you are as a driver, the less likely you are to claim.
- The car you're looking to insure. Usually, more powerful, expensive or exotic cars will cost more to cover.
- Where you live. Areas with typically higher claims and crime rates will have a bearing on the cost of your car insurance.
- When and how far you drive your car. Because the more you drive, the more likely you are to be involved in an accident.
- Whether or not you've built up a no claim discount (NCD). The more NCD you have, the better your price is likely to be.
- Changes in legislation or regulations. Some legislation means insurers now have to pay out bigger lump sums for personal injury claims.
- The rising costs of parts and labour. This has a knock-on effect on the price of your insurance premium.
- The rising cost of claims. More sophisticated cars are usually more expensive to repair.
We're all worried about the cost of living so make sure you're only paying for the cover you need. Read our 7 top tips for buying cheaper car insurance.
Do you know about car insurance groups?
There are 50 car insurance groups with a ranking system to help insurers work out premiums. The less likely a car is to be damaged and the cheaper the cost of repair, the lower the insurance group it will be in, whilst fast accelerating, high performance cars are usually in the higher insurance groups. It’s not that simple though, so check out our article on car insurance groups and how we use them.
To find out more about these factors, read our guide to how we work out the cost of car insurance or watch our video.