Insurance FAQs

Will I still be able to drive in Europe after Brexit?

If you plan on towing on your European trip, you should check if you need to register your caravan or trailer, as some countries require you to display a separate registration plate.

If you do, it means you’ll need to display a separate registration plate. You’ll also need to carry a green card for the trailer or caravan (but not your car). Please visit for further info.
You might also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

A paper driving licence
A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

You can check with the Post Office or embassy of the country you’ll be driving in.

Find out more about International Driving Permits 

Find out more about travelling to the EU 

If you have European cover (shown as ‘Foreign Use’ in your policy documents), you’re all set to go with cover for up to 180 days.  

It’s a good idea to take your car insurance policy documents and vehicle log book (V5C) with you if you travel to the EU. Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad. 

If you require a Green Card when travelling abroad and do not have a valid one, you may be refused entry to the country you’re travelling to or you could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

If you can't find your LV= insurance documents:

Just log in or register for an online account plus download the Alexa Skill or Google Action to make fact-finding easier.