LV= uses cookies to give you the best experience online and to provide anonymised, aggregated site usage data. You can find out what cookies we use and how you can disable them in our Cookie Policy. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.

skip to main content

Know what's covered by your car insurance

Car insurance existing customers

The LV= green car with a heart

Things you may not know about your car insurance

Your car insurance is there to cover you for things like accidental damage, fire and theft. But, the ins and outs of car insurance isn't always clear – so here are some examples to help explain when you are (and aren't) covered by your insurance.

"My son had an accident when driving my car – but he isn't named on my policy. Can I claim?"

Your car insurance will not cover damage to your vehicle if it's driven by an uninsured driver.

If you let other people use your car, check first that they're either named on your policy or have their own insurance which covers them to drive other vehicles. This cover is usually third party only cover so you will not be covered for damage caused to your vehicle.

If you don't, and they have an accident whilst driving your car, we may have to pay out for third party damage and personal injury. In these cases, we are entitled to claim against you (the policyholder) and/or the driver for the money.

graphic of a car crashing into a post box, with a young looking driver in the drivers seat

"I need to drive to a business meeting that isn't at my usual place of work, am I covered?"

Icon of a sign stating that in 1 mile is a turn off to 'meeting'

Check your certificate of motor insurance to see what cover you have on your policy. If the cover doesn't meet what you use your vehicle for, you can call our service team to discuss or amend your policy.

"I insure my daughter's car in my name because it was too expensive for her to be the policyholder. Is this ok?"

Sorry, no. Whilst it's natural to want to help out friends and family, this is 'fronting' and is actually a form of fraud.

You run the risk of your policy being made null and void, a claim not being paid, your premiums not being refunded and the insurance company seeking recovery for any third party claim costs and liabilities. Your details may also be passed to other agencies, which aim to prevent fraud and money laundering.

Icon of a document where a woman's picture has been taped over another picture and a magnifying glass is over the document

"I made some modifications to my car after I bought it, am I covered?"

Graphic of a green car that has modifications on it. A wing, bodykit and neon lights on the underside of the car

A modification is any change to your car manufacturer's standard specification. These include things like changing the alloy wheels, suspension, tinted windows, as well as exhaust or engine changes.

If you don't tell us what modifications you've made to your vehicle, you could risk any claims not being paid and your insurance policy being cancelled.

"I lost a set of car keys while I was out shopping, what should I do?"

We pay to replace your lost or stolen ignition keys or other 'start' devices, as well as for all the locks to be replaced on your vehicle – as so long as they weren't left in, on, attached to, or left in the immediate proximity of your car while it was unattended.

Graphic of a set of car keys

"I've sold my car: what do I do and who do I tell?"

Graphic of a green car with a 'sold' sticker going across the windscreen

If you sold your vehicle, call to tell us as soon as possible. We'll need to cancel your insurance or transfer the insurance to your new vehicle. You should also notify the DVLA online.

It's important to do this as soon as you can; if the new owner has an accident in the vehicle and you haven't yet cancelled your insurance - and you don't have any proof that you sold it - your policy could be affected.

"I got caught speeding and have points on my licence. But I can't find my paper licence with the details. What do I do?"

Did you know that the paper part of your licence was abolished on 8 June 2015?

If you haven't provided us with your driving licence number when taking the policy out, you can check online with the DVLA. First, visit, log in using your driving licence number, National Insurance number and postcode.

Graphic of a speed camera that has just flashed

Icon of a blue car crashing into a post box

Accident guide

Car accident help guide

Green car with a crack in the windscreen

Windscreen Maintenance

Windscreen hints and tips

Need Help?

Sorry, our interactive FAQ service is unavailable at the moment. Please try again later.