Green hills and car lights on a winding road at night

Classic car insurance claims considerations

Know what's covered by your classic car insurance?

Have a read about the things that are covered under your policy – and what's not 

“Help! I’ve had an accident in my partner’s classic car and I’m not named on their policy. What do I do?”

  • As you aren’t named, you won’t be covered by your partner’s policy. 
  • But if you have your own policy, check if it covers ‘driving other cars’. You should be able to find this within your policy documents / certificate of motor insurance.
  • There may be exclusions to this cover so ensure you have read your terms and conditions fully. Driving other cars cover is usually an entitlement for the policyholder only, and it will only cover you in a privately owned car that doesn’t belong to you.
  • It’s worth remembering cover for driving other cars is usually third party only cover which means if you have an accident whilst driving a car that doesn’t belong to you, your insurer will only pay for injury to other people and damage to their property. Loss or damage to the car you are driving will not be covered. 
  • Our Classic car insurance doesn’t include cover for driving other cars, so if you want to be able to drive the classic car insured with us, you’ll need to be added on as a named driver. 

"I need to drive to a business meeting that isn't at my usual place of work, am I covered?"

  • Our classic car cover only gives cover for social domestic and pleasure use, and for commuting to one place of work. If you need to use your car for business use, please let us know and we’ll give you a quote on our standard car insurance.

"I lost a set of car keys while I was out shopping, what should I do?"

  • We pay to replace your lost or stolen ignition keys or other 'start' devices, as well as for all the locks to be replaced on your vehicle – so long as they weren't left in, on, attached to, or in the immediate proximity of your car while it was unattended.

“My car got stolen when I was defrosting it. I left the key in the ignition to have the heaters on. Can I claim?”

  • Don’t be victim to a theft. 
  • It is very easy on a cold winter’s morning to leave our car on the driveway, turn it on to heat up before we start our journey whilst we go back inside to finish our cup of coffee, or even if you leave the keys in the car while you nip inside to get something you’ve forgotten.

But did you know we will not cover you if; 

  • your car has been left unlocked;
  • your car has been left with a window or roof open;
  • the engine has been left running;
  • the ignition key is left in, on or attached to or in the immediate proximity of your car.

“I was driving home from work when my car broke down. My garage said it has suffered from a mechanical failure in the engine. Can I claim?”

Your classic car policy will only cover you for accidental damage, fire and theft.

  • We will not cover you if your vehicle has suffered a mechanical/electrical failure or wear and tear to things like; head gaskets, gearboxes and suspension or if your battery for your hybrid or electric car has degraded. If there is resultant damage from the failure, then we would cover you, for example if your brakes were to fail which caused you to have an accident.
  • To reduce the chances of this happening to you, and also in line with our terms and conditions, make sure your car is serviced regularly and has an MOT test annually when your car is over 3 years old.

Call us for a quote on

0800 316 4862Lines open: Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday and bank holidays 9am - 5pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm. Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone first dial 18001