Insurance FAQs

What is a Green Card and will I need one or any other documents to travel in the EU?

A Green Card is a document that proves you have vehicle insurance when driving abroad.

As of 1 January 2021 you will need a physical Green Card to travel in the EU. A digital copy on a smartphone or tablet is not acceptable under the Green Card system. Your cover will remain the same. 

If you have car insurance with LV= you can apply for a Green Card using this application. If your car insurance is not with LV= you'll need to contact your car insurer for a Green Card. 

You will also need to display a GB sticker on your car. 

You should take your log book (V5C) and other similar documentation with you if you're leasing a car. You might also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

  • A paper driving licence
  • A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
Check with the Post Office or embassy of the country you’ll be driving in.


Find out more about IDP’s 

Find out more about travelling to the EU