Insurance FAQs

What documents do I need to travel abroad?

To drive abroad you will need to have these important to hand:

  • Full, valid driving licence
  • Proof of vehicle insurance
  • Proof of ID (passport)
  • Travel insurance documents
  • European Breakdown Cover policy number and documents
  • Having your Certificate of Insurance and other documents, including any lease documents if you lease your car may help if you experience any problems while driving abroad.

Do I need a green card to drive in the EU?

As of 2 August 2021, you no longer need a green card to drive your car in most EU countries. We can offer green cards for Albania, Morocco and Turkey, call us to arrange one. If you're towing, you may still need to carry one for your caravan or trailer. Before you travel, check out our information on green cards and driving to the EU.

You may need to display a country of origin sticker on your car. You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

  • A paper driving licence
  • A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

Check online to see if you need an international driving permit (IDP) or ask at your local Post Office.


LV= is not responsible for content on third party websites.