We use cookies to give you the best possible experience online. By continuing to use our website, you agree to receiving our cookies on your web browser. Visit our cookie policy page to find out more and how to change your cookie settings.

skip to main content

European breakdown cover

5 Star rated UK & European Assist cover

LV= Britannia Rescue

European breakdown cover

If you're planning on exploring the continent, why not have peace of mind with 5 Star rated UK & European Assist cover from LV= Britannia Rescue?

We won't leave you stranded in Europe - we'll do whatever we can to fix your vehicle at the roadside, but if we can't, we'll offer you overnight accommodation or a hire car. If repairs can't be completed in time for your return journey we'll even get your vehicle back to the UK.

Get a breakdown quote today and see how we can help you keep your European travels on track.

Or call our UK call centre on

0800 022 3948

Existing customer contact details

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 5pm Saturday and bank holidays
10am - 4pm Sunday

Calls may be recorded

Breakdown truck, UK and EU icon

Why choose LV= Britannia Rescue UK & European Assist

  • 24/7 English-speaking breakdown assistance from our UK call centre
  • Caravans and trailers recovered if attached to your vehicle
  • Roadside assistance and recovery to a local place of repair
  • We'll arrange repatriation of your vehicle back to the UK if it’s not fixed in time for your return journey
  • Alternative travel arrangements if you break down before your trip or when in Europe

You'll love our European breakdown cover
Get peace of mind whether home or away with our highly-rated cover. Our UK & European Assist breakdown cover has been awarded a 5 Star Rating by Defaqto. Get a breakdown quote today.

Add breakdown cover to your LV= car insurance today

Green car with a warning triangle next to it

Call us on 0800 633 5211 to add our top-rated breakdown cover to your existing car insurance policy at any time.

If you don't already have car insurance with us but want to benefit from this competitive cover, get a car insurance quote and add breakdown cover as part of our quick and easy online application.

Got any questions about our European breakdown cover?

What happens if I break down in Europe?

If you're an existing customer and you break down in Europe, call us on +44 1484 435806 and we'll do all we can to help.

We'll communicate with our European partners who will try to get you on the move again.

We'll also speak to any garages carrying out repairs and pay up to £800 for a hire car or up to £500 for overnight accommodation while your vehicle's being fixed.

If you're unwell or injured and have been told not to drive, we'll provide you with a relief driver to drive you and your fellow travellers to your intended destination, or home, if needed.

Which European countries will I be covered in?

Your European breakdown cover will apply in the following countries:

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia Herzegovina
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
  • Malta
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • the Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Russia (West of the Urals)
  • San Marino
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey (in Europe)
  • Ukraine

How many days will I be covered to drive in Europe?

You’re covered for up to 180 days a policy year while you're driving your own vehicle in Europe.

What happens if I break down before I plan to travel to Europe?

If you break down up to seven days before you're due to travel to Europe and your vehicle can't be repaired, we'll offer you alternative travel arrangements like a hire car, so you'll be able to keep your holiday on track. To find out more about what we offer, see our policy document.

Policy documents

This document is for new policies.

LV= Britannia Rescue policy document (PDF 279KB)

Our awards and recognition

Which? Recommended

Which? Recommended Provider for breakdown cover

Defaqto 2018 - 5 Star motor breakdown cover


We're 5 Star rated for our UK Recovery & Home Assist and UK & European Assist cover

Find out what our customers are saying


Proud to be the UK's most recommended insurer

Buying European breakdown cover is quick and easy

We love saving you money on other insurance too...